- Carrying Capacity
(1) Carrying capacity is the maximum number of trail users that can pass through a trail section in a defined period of time, given a set of trail conditions.
(2) Carrying capacity is the amount of use a resource can sustain before irreversible deterioration begins.
(3) Or, carrying capacity is the number of recreational opportunities a recreation resource can provide year after year without significant biological or physical deterioration or impairment of the recreation experience. Aren't you glad to have learned that?
(4) Carrying capacity is also known as "Capacity", or "Recreational Carrying Capacity".
(1) This trail has exceeded its carrying capacity. You can tell by the number of stoplights and traffic citations.
(2) You could also look up "Capacity" or "Recreational Carrying Capacity". But think of it as how many of you the trail can put up with before it decides to pinch your heads off.