- Day Hiker
(1) One who carries a very small or no backpack.
(2) As used by thru-hikers who may be on the trail for months, this is a derogatory term for a lesser species.
(3) Anyone who is on the trail hiking for the day only, usually with a small day pack and no tent or sleeping bag.
(1) No, seriously, a day hiker is someone who may hike a lot, but does not sleep outside in the dirt during a long hike.
(2) Ed is a day hiker. At night he becomes a were-mouse, so that wouldn't work too well for camping.