- Day Pack
(1) A day pack is a small backpack designed to hold supplies and equipment for a trip that does not include camping overnight.
(2) A day pack is a soft pack. Smaller than a backpack, it is favored by day hikers and trail workers for carrying food, water, and other supplies.
(3) A day pack is a pack that is generally for day use only. Its volume is usually no more than 1,000 cubic inches (16.5 L).
(1) Ed's day pack could carry 48 pounds (22 kg), which was just about adequate for his lunch. He never camped out either. (Scairt a skeeters.)
(2) Sue carried her day pack wherever he went, and whenever it got dark, she reached into her pack and pulled out some more day. She hiked around the world in about two weeks that way.